Friday, June 17, 2016

WHAT TO DO WITH A BOX {Poetry Friday}

I'm so excited to add a poetry book to my collection of books about boxes.  WHAT TO DO WITH A BOX by Jane Yolen and Chris Sheban was just released this year.  Brown, box like tones and warm subtle colors make this book warm and inviting.  As we often discover as readers, authors love to share the different things a box can be.  Jane Yolen is no exception here but her choices reflect using it as is and imagining something else, using some props, drawing objects, and painting a setting on the box for different scenarios.  Her imagination offers readers practical, wild, and fun uses for a box.  As you can imagine, her word choice is rhythmic, descriptive, concise, and enjoyable.


Here's a sample -

...
YOU CAN CLIMB INSIDE
AND THERE READ A
BOOK.
IT CAN BE
A LIBRARY,
PALACE,
OR NOOK.
...


For the past couple of years I have done a The Box Project to help build community.  My students love this learning how to work together via this project based learning project.  This book will be the perfect addition to my text set.  I promise signing up for this free unit is worth it!

Thank you Carol at Carol's Corner for hosting Poetry Friday this week.



7 comments:

  1. I.NEED. THIS. BOOK! It sounds like a perfect book for the beginning of the school year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Jane Yolen's new book. It's charming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this book recently too. Loved it. Great excerpt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Jane Yolen's work, whether poetry or prose! Boxes hold such intrigue, what's in it? What can it be? I will be on the lookout for this book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The book looks wonderful and I just spent 15 minutes checking out the Box Project. What a great way to start the year and learn about and practice collaboration, creativity and cooperation. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Molly, I'm so glad you checked out the Box Project. It really makes sense how the steps of working together are introduced for the year. My students have loved it for two years now. Start collecting boxes!

      Delete
  6. Can't wait to check this out!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete