Friday, August 10, 2012

August 10 for 10: Picture Book Event is Here 2012

Good Morning Everyone, it's going to be a great day!  It's August 10th, 2012 and that means Cathy at Reflect and Refine Learning Building a Learning Community and I are here to host our third annual 10 for 10 Picture Books blog sharing event.  If you could see my laptop right now, I have three screens opened for my blog.  One tab has my list from the inaugural August 10 for 10.  The second tab has the second collection of picture books I put together in 2011.  The third tab is this edition.  I really thought I would put a new spin on my list - maybe a focus or a theme or a common thread.  Nothing came to me until I was doing dishes today and thought maybe I could share my list of new books I want to add to my room this year.  However, I don't have them yet so I would be relying on thinking from others and the whole purpose of this event is have a need to go book shopping.  I've decided to look at both previous list and think critically to see what I must keep, what might I let slide off the list because something new has just touched my heart.

My list is not in a ranking order, I've just numbered them to make sure I stop at 10!

1.  Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see? by Eric Carle changed my life in college and has to STAY for a third year!  I was sitting in my reading methods course at SUNY College at Buffalo when Dr. Phelps read this book in class.  I was introduced to a predictable pattern, shared reading, Eric Carle, collage hand made papers, turning the page slightly ahead of the text to encourage student participation and I'm sure much more.  I remember thinking this was much more fun and engaging than the basal readers and reading groups I grew up with.  I've never had a group of students who didn't fall in love with this book.  It has to stay because reading this book is one of my fondest memories to each of my three daughters who are now bigger and I'm sure took turns reading it to each other at some point in our journey together.




2.  Suddenly, is a book I found a year ago and think it needs to stay on my list for another year.  Suddenly! by Colin McNaughton is perfect for helping kindergarten students think about predicting.  The text is larger in size.  The illustrations are very supportive to the text and using our picture clues to understand the story is essential.  The text also has a pattern and would allow us as writers to think about the word suddenly and what happens following that word each time.  The rest of this post was written November 10, 2011.





3.  The Three Bears by Byron Barton has to STAY for a third year!  I just enjoy reading this book to students.  The text is simple and repetitive and for whatever reason my inflection is at it's best reading this book. I think the simple collage technique is an easy one for students to see and replicate.  I love to help children figure out there's one color for each character that gets repeated in clothing and objects.  My two classes shared creating retelling murals this year using Byron Barton has a mentor and then we interactively wrote our text.   These were beautiful pieces of collaboration and fostered so much literacy learning.  I also think this will be a great book with other 3 Bear versions to help my young readers compare literature, part of the Common Core.




4.  A must have NEW selection, Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons.  You  can my initial thinking and reactions the day it was released this year.  My list needed a book to talk about math ideas and this is perfect for so many concepts mathematically.








5.  I can't believe I removed this book from the list last year.  Gosh, 10 is so hard to do!  I have to be quite honest here, I think limiting this to ten books was Cathy's idea.    Ish by Peter Reynolds is a must have for any classroom to embrace the arts and the differences between artist capabilities.  It encourages the reader to look at things in a different way, with a different lens.  Looking at things with a different lens is essential for 21st century learning.  Welcome back, Ish!






6.  Since we are talking about the arts, I leaked out on twitter earlier this week I Am an Artist might make my top 10 and it is.  I recently got back from spending a lot of time outside and in nature.  It's amazing what you can see if you take the time to look.  Another book encouraging readers to look at things differently, maybe that is a future list of some sort for this event or something else, maybe that's an article or a blogpost.   I predicted I Am An Artist would join my list.






7.  Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge by Mem Fox is about older people, it's about spending time with them, it's about memories.  I want it to STAY for year three!  Memories give us ideas for writing.  As in this story, memories help us remember.   I think we need to work harder and bridge the gap between our young and old.   I think we need to work harder as a profession to help students make writing easier by writing about memories and what is known to them.








8.  Super Sam! is a new addition this year.  I think as I looked for a few new titles this one jumped out as one that fostered students to think deeply about the text and notice more through the illustrations that aided in comprehending the words.  My students also understood the play on words using the illustrations.  K students can think deeply, my initial thinking was posted February 21, 2012.






9.  Rosie's Walk by Pat Hutchins is a book from my first list and needed to return. In the past I've used it for mathematics, when we were working on directional words.   The students enjoyed it so much we retold it through painting the different places Rosie goes.  We were building a map and created labels through interactive writing.  When we mounted our mural for a retelling, we used Velcro for Rosie and she could move along the mural as she does in the story.  In reading the Common Core our emerging readers and writers need to be doing this work for literacy, I think I will be using this within the first quarter of the year.




10.  Pete the Cat by Eric Litwin was on my first list and has been slightly moved over by this NEW Pete the Cat Rocking in My School Shoes!   for two years in a row (Both titles link you to my original posts for these books.)   I honestly had a dream last year where I went to school and the room was filled with parents and students.  The room was set up but I had no handouts, no sign up sheets and really no introduction to kindergarten speech planned.  It bordered a nightmare and as I conclude this list I know just like Pete the Cat says, "because it's all good." the next couple of weeks will all work out, it always does.


I'm so glad you stopped by.  If you are joining us this year please let us know.  You can let us know by leaving a comment on our blogs.  You can let us know via twitter @cathymere or @mandyrobek.  We will then connect all of our list via a Jog.  Make sure you settle in with a large class of water to stay dehydrated, I think the Jog will be a long one with lots of interesting things to view.

21 comments:

  1. Great list of books and such a great idea for sharing books.
    I've posted my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning,
    Can't wait to start reading everyone's lists! Here's my contribution: http://lookingforthewritewords29.blogspot.com/2012/08/ten-picture-books-and-authors-that-i.html
    Many thanks!! ~ Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your list! I look forward to reading all the lists in the jog.

    Here is my list:
    http://randomthoughtsofateacher.blogspot.com/2012/08/pb-10-for-10-this-event-is-being.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have some of my old favorites (Brown Bear and ish) and quite a few that are new to me. Many of the items on your list look like they'd be great reads with my daughter.

    Thank you to you and to Cathy for hosting this great virtual picture book party. I can't wait for the jog! (That last sentence has never passed my lips before since I'm not a runner. But a jog like this I can certainly look forward to doing!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mandy,

    I knew as soon as I got done with my list and starting reading others, I'd remember other favorites. Two that especially resonated with me are Ish...love all the Peter Reynolds books even for 4th graders! and I also am fond of Mem Fox's books.

    Love this day. Thanks and Happy Reading!

    ~Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Posted my list on my blog
    www.mrsnewbolsclass.blogspot.com

    Love this event!! Can't wait to see the final list!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so excited to be posting again this year for 10 for 10 Picture books. I already got 2 new titles from your list. It's going to be a fun day reading all of the posts. This year I connected 10 books to 10 Wonders @Wonderopolis. Thanks for sharing my link.
    http://bit.ly/MGOFl9

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't wait to stop back by to read your list, I saw a few favorites as I scrolled through!
    Here's a link to my post. I went song books this year!
    http://deb-frazier.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great challenge making this list. Here's a link to my list at Apples with Many Seeds.
    http://applewithmanyseedsdoucette.blogspot.ca/2012/08/top-10-on-10th-event.html
    Thanks for hosting such a great event.
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi my dear! I miss you! I got my list ready and up! Mine is a biography list! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for such a wonderful event, and such a great list my friend!!
    I've just posted mine. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've posted my list on Growing Book by Book. I listed 10 books I use as mentor texts during writer's workshop. Enjoy!
    http://growingbookbybook.com/2012/08/10/10-for-10-ten-metor-texts-to-use-for-modeling-writing/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved seeing which ones stayed, which ones had to come back (Go, ISH!!), and which new ones you added!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a fun day, reading everyone's list! I'm glad Ish, and 2 Pete the Cats made your list. I think the original Pete will be my first read aloud this year -- I love the message of "It's all good!"

    Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoyed looking at your list! I saw a few that were also on my list. Gotta love Pete! I put together my list on my blog:
    http://teachingtomorrowsleaders.blogspot.com/2012/08/ten-for-ten.html
    Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love ISH and kids love ISH, too. I will have to check out I AM AN ARTIST. Would you consider them companion books?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you! I felt connected today to so many others in a meaningful sharing of terrific picture books. I'm learning a lot & am grateful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Julie, Yes I could consider them companion books. A slightly different feel after reading each. I hope you enjoy them together.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Suddenly is a huge favorite of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mandy~
    I have already added 2 (new to me) titles, Super Sam and I am An Artist to my library book bag!
    So sad to see Suddenly, is no longer available thru the library system! I learned this book form a few years ago and i LOVE this book!!! Fortunately, Amazon did not disappoint me! My cart is getting VERY full!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm getting great ideas from your list, some are similar from mine. Nice to find out a great blogger and I have similar taste :)

    ReplyDelete