Friday, March 2, 2018

Out of Wonder - Poems Celebrating Poets {Poetry Friday}

Out of Wonder
Kwame Alexander, Chris Colderley, Marjory Wentworth
Illustrator Ekua Holmes
Candlewick Press, 2017
review copy from the publisher

Out of Wonder is beautiful.  enlightening. and informative.  I've had this book for a while and I know people talked about it right when it came out but maybe highlighting here now will remind you to go back and revisit it.  Immediately I felt like I was spending time with Google as I read each poem.   I was learning so much about each poet being celebrated.  It felt like Google for a second and then as I reread and enjoyed the illustrations it felt like a visit to my local art museum.  Stunning colors with patterns and textures bring the poems to life.  This collection of poems is organized in three sections; Got Style?, In Your Shoes, and Thank You.  Knowing about the sections helped me understand more about the message/knowledge in each poem.  The book ends with information about each poet in paragraph form which then sent me back to rereading each  poem.  Make sure you block out some time to savor this beautiful text.

Thank you Renee at No Water River for hosting Poetry Friday this week.

10 comments:

  1. I ordered it from my library. Kwame is an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree with all you shared, Mandy. It's a marvelous book to have and share.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really can't wait to read this one, the holds list at my library is so long, which is both frustrating and really positive. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great recommendation! Plus, we know who wrote the teachers' guide for this fabulous book!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That book made me go poet-exploring, which is a fine way to spend time! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, I love this one!!! This one has so much potential for supporting readers, writers, and poets of all ages.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read this one yet, but I'm looking forward to it! It sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for reminding me to go back and revisit this book. I have read it once, and thoroughly enjoyed it, but it's deserving of more than one visit. I like how you compared it to googling and then being in an art museum.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree. It is a great book. I recently read it myself. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think this was shared as well by one of the GatheringBooks ladies, Fats. Love the psychedelic book cover.

    ReplyDelete