Thursday, September 11, 2014

Familiar Authors, Different Story – Bean Dog and Nugget

I’ve been excited to find authors I know from a series and discover they have other titles and stories to share with readers.  I recently found, Bean Dog and Nugget written by Charise Mericle Harper who I’ve loved for her Just Grace character and books.  When I saw Bean Dog and Nugget I thought about the little boy who is revisiting lots picture books during reading workshop and is a huge Mo Wilhems fan.  I personally love the clean, crisp, and clear layout/illustrations.  Sometimes graphic novels overwhelm me and I think this format will be perfect for students trying a graphic novel format for the first time. 

Bean Dog is tall and skinny while Nugget is a small circle.   Nugget has a new ball and plays catch with Nugget until it disappears into a bush.  While this may not seem like a big problem to an adult reader, this could be for young children.  Together Bean Dog and Nugget brainstorm ideas that aren’t very feasible for getting the ball back.  Then they use their imagination, get dressed to conquer the bush as Super Dog and Ninja Nugget with success. 

The storyline in this title and The Cookie are simple and sweet.  Real life problems young children have.  I really think these books are perfect as an introduction to a graphic novel format.  The reader can easily navigate the smaller boxes of text while using the illustrations to help tell the story and add to their comprehension.  The characters are also fun and humorous which some readers need to get hooked on reading.

Here are two lines I love from this story and hope you find, if you pick this book up.

“Somebody took my shiny new green ball that was special to me!!!”


“SUPER DOG!  NINJA NUGGET!” – the diagram really enhances this line.

No comments:

Post a Comment