Thursday, August 14, 2014

Familiar Authors, Different Story - Mostly Monty

I've been excited to find authors I know from a series and discover they have other titles and stories to share with readers.  Mostly Monty is by Johanna Hurwitz.  I picked this book up thinking about needing more boy/guy characters in my classroom.  I fell in love with Monty right from the start.  I love how Johanna introduces Monty in the first chapter.  Within the first two pages the reader learns about Montgomery; his nickname, his birthdate, asthma, inhaler, and a few things he doesn't have.  Monty is an only child at home and sometimes in the classroom.  Monty does get recognized for being a good lost and found friend at school.  Monty appreciates helping others and receiving praise.  When his good fortune for finding things dries up, he turns in his own lunch box which creates twists in his daily plans.  Monty is a thinker.  He writes a pet report on a dinosaur because he can't have any.  He is satisfied with a pet caterpillar.  He doesn't have a hobby so he studies kangaroos and creates a kangaroo club.  This book would be a great first grade first read aloud and could also work in second grade.

Here are three lines I love from this story and hope you find, if you pick this book up.

"Reading was one thing he could do without worrying about his breathing."

"If hair gives me an asthma attack, how come I'm not allergic to you or Dad?" asked Monty.

"He could go days without anyone noticing him.  It wasn't often that someone at school praised him."


No comments:

Post a Comment