Thursday, February 6, 2014

Celebrating Writers - Reflection #2

I'm so excited to share I am participating in a book study of Celebrating Writers, From Possibilities Through Publication by Ruth Ayers with Christi Overman with the Literacy Connection group here in Central Ohio.  Chapter one introduced us to the notion celebrations need response, reflection, and rejoice.  I was happy to discover chapter two would explain and discuss these three ideas further.


"Response is noticing and naming the things a writer is doing and then sharing how we are affected as readers."  As teachers we naturally respond to student writing while we are conducting conferences and are modeling a response format for our students.  I think it's challenging for our emergent writers to think of thoughtful responses when we celebrate writing at the conclusion of our writing workshop.  I'm thinking a chart is needed.  On page 17 Ruth and Christi share a chart titled, Talking Writer to Writer.  I'm thinking I need to play with this a bit for my kindergarten classroom.  I find my students want to share connections when a student shares a piece and can easily sway away from the piece of writing.  I usually start a whole class piece by stating what I notice this writer doing.  I think after the modeling I have done I should pose the question, What do we notice? to the whole group of students.

"Reflection is thinking about what you do and how you feel about it."  Many writing standards ask students to take writing through the writing process.  To edit and revise students need to reflect.  Ruth and Christi suggest we open or close partner conversations by telling how their writing is going and how they feel about it.  I think my students could reflect with modeling with the support of anchor phrases to help the conversation.  Another chart with visuals might be on my horizon to help guide my student's reflections.

"Rejoicing is bigger than cupcakes and punch, rejoicing is about infusing joy in the daily grind of writing workshop."  Often we think about rejoicing as a party but Ruth and Christi strongly share it's about daily things we do as writers and teachers.  My own thinking led me to think about the daily grind of writing workshop Ruth and Christi mention as a time or reason to rejoice.  Ruth and Christi share what rejoicing looks like; quiet, a head nod, writing space, a wink or glance across the classroom or a pat on the back of the shoulder.  I think I need to offer more rejoicing from these examples without a verbal cue. Verbal cues can open a conversation and take us down a path away from celebrating our writing.

I'm looking forward to thinking about response, reflection, and rejoice with my students.  

1 comment:

  1. I love the definitions of response, reflection, and rejoicing. Thanks for the reminder. I need to get back into that book. I only had a chance to begin it a few weeks ago and had to put it aside for other reasons.

    ReplyDelete