Monday, September 30, 2013

Me First!, Is it best?

I found a new mentor text to help students monitor their actions this past weekend.  When I saw the book, ME FIRST! by Michael Escoffier and Kris Di Giacomo I instantly thought I have another book with the same title - Me First by Helen Lester that I have used every year as we start the year.  I usually don't know when I will use it.  I wait and watch, listening for the words - ditch, ditching, cut, cutting, and got in front of me or took my spot.  Helen Lester's Me First, has always worked to help discuss how we are all going to the same place and it doesn't matter where we are in line as long as we stay together.  

ME FIRST! by Michael Escoffier and Kris Di Giamcomo is perfect and an easier read to help students think about being first and maybe not wanting to be first.  The duck family has five members and one younger duck always wants to be first.  Mother duck guides her ducklings outside, fishing, to bath time and then to dinner.  Each time one duckling moves fast and shouts, "Me First, Me First."  This plan works for a bit with success until it is dinner time.  Then fast moving duckling is a bit taken back when the dinner menu is announced, quickly turning and slinking away.  You must pick up this book and find out how clever the "Me First." duckling is.  I burst out laughing when I read it the first time and I can't wait to hear the laughter in our kindergarten classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment