Monday, July 23, 2012

Rah, Rah, Radishes!

Rah, Rah, Radishes! by April Pulley Sayre was a book I first heard about from Mary Lee at A Year Of Reading.   Mary Lee talks/writes about the history of this book and meeting the author.  I was intriguied by the idea of a chant and was lucky enough to stumble upon it last week at my local Half Price bookstore.  I didn't expect the beautiful, bright and bold photos.  This book is a photo essay of a farmer's market.  The details on the radish roots with fine strands of roots sprouting off the main shoot are fascinating.  The various colors are rich in tones.  I love the amount of different vegetables that are in this text.  On the last page, April lets the reader know some vegetables didn't make "the cut" but can be found on her website, AprilSayre.com.  I also loved the information at the end of the text to this wondering, "What is a vegetable?" The history about this topic is also interesting.  April also promotes having natural colors on your plate to eat at one time.  I think this book will be fun to read as a chant.  It will help my students think about vegetables and fruits recognizing ones they eat and maybe being introduced to new one.  It's a great book as a mentor text for photography - photo essays.

2 comments:

  1. Be sure you check out April's other chants! She does fruits, fish, insects, birds...and she's got a great counting book, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mary Lee, I have will have to check these out. I think some back to school shopping is in order!

    ReplyDelete