Thursday, June 28, 2012

Play!

PLAY and summer go hand in hand.  I am so grateful they have both arrived.  I was so excited when my Hearthsong catalog came as I was finishing up the school year only to discover it was filled with thoughts about playing.  I instantly thought what a great post to be first when I return to blogging to embrace the season.

"Play keeps us fit physically and mentally."   -Stuart Brown, MD

"Play is training for the unexpected."   -Marc Bekoff

"Play gives children a chance to practice what they are learning."  Fred Rogers

"Play is the free expression of what's in a child's soul."  Frederick Froebel

"Life must be lived as play."  Plato

"Play is our brain's favorite way of learning."  Diane Ackerman

"Almost all creativity involves purposeful play."  Abraham Maslow

"Simple play outside helps foster a love of the outdoors."  Jennifer Ward

"Play builds the kind of free and easy, try it out, do it yourself character that out future needs."  
                                                                     James L Hymes Jr.


I hope your summer is including some play and these quotes help you feel safe in playing. 
 



2 comments:

  1. Oh - I needed to see this today! My OLW (one little word) for this year is PLAY, but I haven't been very good at it. So, this was the perfect reminder to get off my butt and do some playing to stay 'fit physically and mentally'! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mandy,
    Thank you for sharing these quotes. As I have watched my kids discover new strategies for learning I have often thought they are actually involved in purpouseful play. This method of learning and discovery is so natural to first graders and so powerful!

    ReplyDelete