Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Wordless Wednesday: Listening to Read

I've been inspired and loved the posts Katie is doing titled, Wordless Wednesday.  I saw something in my room today and thought I could join Wordless Wednesday (with a few words).  I would like to give a huge shout out and thank you to Nicole from Nicole's Book Nook.  She came to visit and observe me one day last month when I was modeling how to use a tape cassette with four really, really, really BIG headphones.  The expression on her face made me realize how old this technology must look.  I think I said, I know there must be something more current to use.  She shared how she had ipod nanos in her room, loaded with books on CD and her students are independently using them.  She teaches K.  We could figure this out too!

I got on a small mission:  asked parents for any donations, received three ipod nanos that families weren't really using, taught myself how to use itunes and created an account, and now we have three loaded nanos for read to self.  It's fascinating to observe how my five and six year olds are figuring out the nanos.  Thanks for the nudge Nicole, this has been invigorating for all of us.

5 comments:

  1. You're welcome! Its really very small compared to what i learned from you. I didn't know the look on my face was that obvious. :-) They were really big headphones. I'm glad that this is working so well for you. I'm always amazed at how easily the kids pick up knew technology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inspiring blog! Thanks for the posts
    Dawn
    http://literacymathideas.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mandy,
    What a great idea! I'm picturing the numbers of NANOs just shoved in drawers in the homes of my students. I'm thinking I may have to give this idea a try.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm… I think I have a nano right here at my house! What a great idea! Are the kids using earbuds? Do they each bring in their own?
    ~deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! Going to see if my kids will give up their old nanos!

    ReplyDelete