Saturday, March 5, 2011

The Cow Who Clucked

The Cow Who Clucked by Denise Fleming is about the journey cow takes through the farm looking for it's moo.  Cow visits with many animals each time leaving using this repeatable pattern, "It is not you who has my moo," said Cow.  And on she went."  My students and I have been talking about and recognizing repeatable patterns in text and discussing how they help us read.  I know they will want to join in, making this a shared reading experience.   After Cow travels far and talks to lots of animals he does find his moo, creating a happy ending, which always satisifies young readers.  The illustrations with handmade papers are whimsical, detailed, and warm.  Living up to the quality we've come to expect from Denise Fleming.  We are going on a field trip to a farm next week, I can't wait to share it with my students.

2 comments:

  1. I met Denise Fleming at a conference and she was delightful. She talked about how a cat gave birth to kittens under her porch and that gave her the idea to write Mama Cat Has Three Kittens. You can become her friend on Facebook.
    Jonelle Bell
    I met Denise Fleming at a conference and she was delightful. She talked about howYou can become her friend on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing where Mama Cat Has Three Kittens came from. I love hearing the behind the scenes work that fosters writing.

    ReplyDelete