Sunday, September 12, 2010

the OK book

Where have I been?  I'm excited about so many things since the start of the school year and so many great new to me books I have been using I just didn't know where to begin until I used the OK book by Amy Krouse Rosenthal last week.  My reason for choosing this book for my kindergarten students is all on the first two pages of text.


"I like to try a lot of different things. 
I'm not great at all of them, but I enjoy them just the same."

I haven't been that great with blogging over the past three to four weeks, I miss it but know the start of a school year takes a lot of energy, spirit, and strength.  For me personally, more than other grades.  In kindergarten, I'm on an every other day schedule with two classes and two sets of parents.  So, technically we just finished our sixth day of school for each class.  It's a strange feeling, I feel like it's truly just six days of school but in reality I've been teaching 12 days.  In those 6 or 12 days we've done some great things and I hope to start sharing the titles I've been using to help your journey.

the OK book, is perfect for showing and discussing the differences between being great at something and being OK.  OK means we keep trying, we might need to keep learning, we keep practicing, and sometimes it goes well and sometimes it doesn't.  Some examples in the book are;  "I'm an OK marshmellow roaster, I'm an OK tightrope walker, and I'm an OK sledder."  When we finished our reading we began discussing things we are OK at and I loved how honest and sincere their response were.  We sketched our ideas with a sharpie and the illustrations are priceless.  The illustrations in the OK book are done by Tom Lichtenheld with simple black lines and smidge of color.  I love when students see things I don't.  So, when K shared the person is made out of the letters O and K, making the word OK I was thrilled and enlightened.  Thanks K!

1 comment:

  1. I just discovered this book as well and LOVE it! Can't wait to share it with the students. :)

    ReplyDelete