Friday, July 9, 2010

Once I Ate A Pie {Poetry Friday}

Once I Ate a Pie by Patricia MacLachlan and Emil MacLachlan Charest jumped into my hands during my latest shopping trip because I want to use it as a mentor text for my own writing. You see, I already have my own title inspired by this title. Once I Ate a Cake and I could write my own poem like Patricia and Emily did because Annie my English Chocolate Lab ate my daughter B's first birthday cake while it was cooling, right off my counter when I was out of the room. It was vanilla from scratch, my mother's recipe and I was going to stack the two eight inch circles to make a double layer cake with pink frosting. Now you know why I had to bring this book home.

Once I Ate a Pie is a collection of 13 dog poems. The poems are told from the dogs point of view and each poem is from a different dog breed. The illustrations are breed specific and large against a white background. Here's my favorite poem...




Mr. Beefy

I am not thing, but I am beautiful.

When

no
one

is

looking, I steal tubs of butter off the table.

I take them to the basement to eat in private.

Once I ate a PIE.

Poetry Friday is being held at Carol's Corner, thanks for stopping by.

2 comments:

  1. oh. my. gosh. I have got to own this book. My lab mix, Star, is a blatant and unashamed counter surfer. If she can reach it, it's hers! I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My students loved this poetry book. What a delightful post. The story of your cake eating lab made me smile.

    ReplyDelete