Monday, April 5, 2010

Nonfiction Monday - The COIN Counting Book

My students are suppose to identify and state the value for a penny, nickel, and a dime. I struggle with these learning targets, personally. There is often confusion because the quarter is familiar or somewhat known to them. They need to see this to help clarify these confusions. I also struggle with these learning targets because there is no purpose or meaning to learn these basic skills that are essential. I understand it's a beginning step but I think we need to go further to promote and develop understandings.

I recently found, The COIN Counting Book by Rozanne Lanczak Williams to help me with my struggles. This book shows the reader money in symbolic, written, and numeric form. This book shows the reader coin relationships through equivalency. This book shows the reader fast ways to count using another math skill, skip counting. This book shows coin trading and coin counting. From a complete literacy lens, this book uses poetic form to tell the text. That is delightful. A great book for any primary classroom.
Nonfiction Monday is being held today at Lerner Books Blog, enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog and leave a comment! :o)
    And also thanks for this review on counting coins. I'm always looking for good math resources to use with my kids, and this one looks great. I'll have to check it out.
    Thanks again and have a great day!
    Blessings,
    Amy O.

    ReplyDelete