Friday, August 28, 2009

Beginnings {Poetry Friday}

I have spent the past two days doing the "First Day of Kindergarten", twice. It's been interesting with a lot of learning going on for me and the students. Slow and steady I keep reminding myself. I've been trying to provide opportunities for connections between students to foster relationships, wanting them to return the next day. It's been a crash course on how much they need modeled and guided with how school and our classroom will work. Baby steps are important with our youngest learners. A colleague shared this poem with me for the children to do as they line up and get ready to travel in the hallways. I think something like this will promote literacy and help us think about what we are going to do as we travel through the hallways.

I'm giving myself a great big hug.
I'm standing straight and tall.
I'm looking right ahead of me.
I'm ready for the hall.

2 comments:

  1. Mandy,
    I caught up with your last few posts today. I am so impressed with your thinking and your planning regarding your new grade level / room. I can tell your kindergarten class will be very fortunate to have you as their teacher!!!
    Have a wonderful year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Karen, I have been doing a lot of thinking. Change brings thinking. Best wishes to you!

    ReplyDelete