Thursday, June 25, 2009

Diary of a Wombat




by Jackie French was another book I picked up on vacation several reasons. I was intrigued by the title and cover illustration. What is a wombat I kept asking B? Together we thought maybe a bear, maybe a rodent, and maybe something just made up. It made me think about other books with a diary type format and title. The book has great acrylic painted illustrations against a white background. The positions of the wombat throughout the books and expressions are a perfect match to the text and show the reader more about the wombat's personality. I thought the book would be a great role model for writing about what one does each day and discussing the passage of time.

B and I learned our predictions were right. A wombat is a little bit like a bear and lives underground as rodent might. It mostly comes out at night and sleeps during the day. It lives in Australia. In this story the wombat sleeps and eats a lot while waking to meet the new neighbors. The new neighbors and this wombat learn to coexist together but it's the journey they take getting to this coexistence that all readers will enjoy.

This book, Diary of a Wombat, was published in 2003, while I just discovered a new book How to Scratch a Wombat was released this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment